Council Housing

Council HousingIn 1998 West Somerset Council transferred its housing stock to Magna West Somerset Housing Association.

Therefore, there is no 'council housing' in the area. Magna, and a few other housing associations, own around 2,300 properties in West Somerset.

The council still has a housing role which include the following:

  • Operating a choice based lettings scheme -
  • Providing a homelessness and housing advice service.
  • Offering advice and assistance for tenants renting privately, and also for landlords, on issues such as property conditions, disabled grants and empty homes.
  • Regularly assessing the housing needs of the people in West Somerset to encourage suitable, good quality, affordable housing for local people, for both rent and sale.

There is a high demand for housing in West Somerset and because of the low turnover of affordable housing in the district we must rely more on the private sector to bridge the gap.

If you need advice or assistance with your housing situation please contact the housing department as early as possible, especially if your landlord has issued you with a Notice Seeking Possession. We will ensure that the notice is valid.  We can then work with you and, if appropriate your landlord, to help prevent you from becoming homeless.  Even if you are living with friends or relatives and they say you must leave you are still entitled to be given ‘reasonable notice’.  We will want to visit the friend or relative who is excluding you from their home and we may expect you and them to go for mediation before we will consider whether we can help you.

If you wish to see a housing officer it is advisable to make an appointment.  You may be able to see a housing officer without making an appointment, but may be required to wait.

Monday to Friday in Williton – West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton

If you have difficulty accessing our Minehead or Williton offices, please contact us as we may be able to make alternative arrangement.