Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact us on 01643 703704 or if you have any further questions.

Q. What is the purpose of the Community Impact Mitigation Fund?

A. The fund is available for local communities affected by the construction works at Hinkley Point C. It aims to address quality of life issues not covered by other mitigation agreed between EDF Energy and local authorities.

Projects which improve the economic, social or environmental well-being of local communities may be eligible for funding but they must be directly mitigating impacts of the HPC development.

Q. How can I apply to the CIM Fund?

A. Applications should be submitted electronically to If you have any problems sending your application please contact us 01643 703704.

There are two stages to the application process:

  1. Completion of an Expression of Interest Form - to outline your projects aims
  2. Full Application - with supporting evidence.

Q. Who can apply?

A. A wide variety of community organisations may apply, such as community groups, voluntary groups, community charities or local branches of national charities, social enterprises and community interest companies and parish or town councils.

Q. Can any community apply for funding?

A. Priority will be given to areas most affected by the works for Hinkley Point C. Communities closest to the construction site and next to the main transport routes to the construction site will be given highest priority.

Communities living further away from the construction site may be eligible if projects can demonstrate that they address an effect and they will benefit an area within Somerset, notably the districts of West Somerset and Sedgemoor.

Q. How much can I apply for?

A. There is an upper limit of £1,000,000 for projects. There is no lower limit. Subject to the application meeting the requirements of the fund you may apply for capital and/or revenue funding.

Q. What period of time can revenue funding be applied for?

A. The maximum length of time that revenue funding can be requested is three years. Revenue grants can be used to fund core running costs, salaries and/or project costs.

Q. How long does it take to get a decision?

A. This will vary depending on how much money you are applying for. More details can be found on how to apply.

Q. How do I demonstrate community need?

A. Evidence that a community is impacted by the HPC development should be included in your application, this may come from information available from your Parish or District council or results of community consultation. Projects that benefit many people are more likely to receive support. Projects will not normally be supported if they provide something (a facility or service) that communities already have available to them.

Q. Does my bid need the support of the local town or parish council?

A. Applicants should demonstrate a community need for the project. Evidence of parish or town council support will be taken into account in considering whether to provide funding for projects.

Q. Does my bid need the support of the relevant District Council?

A. Evidence of support from local partners, including the District Council, local groups and businesses, will be taken into account in considering whether to provide funding for projects.

Q. How can I find out if my area has a parish/town/other plan?

A. You should contact your local Parish/Town Council.

Q. Can I get support for putting together my application?

A. Yes, you can contact us, at West Somerset Council Tel: 01643 703704 to find out more about the support available to you.  You may also wish to approach your local voluntary sector support service, such as Engage West Somerset, or SPARK.

Q. Who is responsible for deciding my application?

A. Decisions and/or recommendations will be made by a Board of eight members. Two representatives are nominated from each of the following: West Somerset Council, Sedgemoor District Council, Somerset County Council and EDF (NNB GenCo).

Decisions and/or recommendations are referred to West Somerset Council's Cabinet (up to £25,000) and/or Full Council (over £25,000).

A pot of money already agreed by West Somerset Council's Cabinet will be set aside for bids under £1,000. Applications for bids under £1,000 will be assessed and decided by the board.

Q. What happens if my application is turned down?

A. The Board's decision is final. However, an application can be considered again at a future board meeting if you are able to provide additional information to address the reasons for refusal.

Q. Will conditions be attached to funding?

A. Yes, a number of conditions will be attached to funding and this will be dependent on the scale and complexity of your project.

Q. If my application is granted will the grant be paid upfront?

A. There may be trigger points for the release of funds and these will be outlined in the conditions of approval.

Q. Can VAT costs be included as part of my application?

A. If you are VAT registered your claim should not include VAT. If you are not VAT registered the fund may be able to cover irrecoverable VAT costs. Please indicate whether or not the project costs include VAT.

Q. How do I demonstrate 'Value for Money'?

A. This will depend on the size and type of project but evidence of quotes for work, comparative costs and the benefit to the community will all inform your bid. Evidence of match funding may also be used.

Q. Do I need Planning Permission or any other regulations in place before I make an application?

A. It is recommended that you seek some advice and obtain relevant permissions before you apply.  If you do not have required permissions in place you will be expected to secure these before any funding is released.

Q. Do I need to have match funding?

A. Applicants are positively encouraged to seek match funding from other grant bodies and community sources where possible so that the HPC CIM Fund can support as many local projects as possible. It may also be advantageous in demonstrating value for money. Projects can be supported with 100 per cent of the project costs if the applicants can demonstrate why this is necessary.

Q. Is there anything that cannot be funded?

A. Please see the guidance notes for a list of things that we are unable to fund. Funding for both Capital and Revenue Projects can be applied for.

Q. How will my project be audited?

A. We will monitor your project mainly through regular progress reports submitted by you to West Somerset Council. It is important that you keep in regular contact with the Council to ensure that we are aware of your project's progress. Projects may be subject to at least one monitoring visit through its lifetime.


Partners Logos