Cooling Tower and Evaporative Condensers Public Register

Do I need to Register?

Those who have, to any extent, control of premises, have a duty under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 to notify the local authority in writing with details of 'notifiable devices'.  These consist of cooling towers and evaporative condensers, except when they contain water that is not exposed to air and the water and electricity supply are not connected.  The main purpose of these Regulations is to help in the investigation of any outbreaks associated with legionella.  Where there is a significant risk from legionella, employers must carry out a risk assessment to reduce the exposure to public to an acceptable level.  Guidance from the HSE is available (HSE, 2000; L-8).

Currently, there are no entries for Cooling Towers or Evaporative Condensers listed (valid from 11/08/17).

Eligibility Criteria

None known for this registration

Regulations Summary

The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992

Application Evaluation Process

Complete the registration form and return it to West Somerset Council.  Your registration form will then be processed and your details entered on the cooling tower register.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes - this means the Council will aim to process your application as soon as possible, but as minimum within 28-days.  Tacit consent will apply outside of this period. 

Apply for a Licence

You can apply online

Or contact us for an application form.

By Phone: 01643 703704 - between 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am - 4.30pm on Friday.

By Fax: 01984 633022

By Post:  West Somerset Council, West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 4QA

By Email:

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.  From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If you believe an entry on the cooling tower register is incorrect you should contact West Somerset Council.

If you have any comments, enquiries or feedback about any of our services, please complete the online form.  Your comments will be collated and used to improve the service we provide.