Temporary Event Notice

Apply Online

Licence Summary

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) can be applied for to permit the following temporary licensable activities, whether to be held within a premises or outside in open space:

  • Regulated entertainment - plays, films, recorded music, indoor sporting events, live music, boxing or wrestling entertainment, performance of dance
  • Late night refreshment - provision of hot food and/or hot drinks between 23:00 hours and 05:00 hours
  • Sale by retail of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member or to the order of a member

TENs can be used:

  • to organise a small 'one-off' event, at any premises (where the premises is not already licensed), or
  • to cover a small-scale event at a premises (which already has a premises licence or a club premises certificate), either to extend the hours already permitted, or to permit extra activities (not included in the existing premises licence or club premises certificate).

So, for example, a TEN would cover a disco in an unlicensed hall, function room, or any premises (including places in the open air), and could permit the sale of alcohol and any other activities selected by the premises user, or where, for example, a qualifying club would like to stage an event where members of the public can attend and benefit from the facilities, if a TEN is given, non-members would be able to be admitted to the club premises for the duration of the TEN.

There are, however, strict limitations which apply:

  • there may not be more than 499 people attending the event at any one time (including performers and staff)
  • the event may last no longer than 168 hours (seven days)
  • there may only be 12 TENs per calendar year at any one premises
  • the total number of days (aggregate maximum period of time) per year, covered by TENs at any one premises, is 21 days, irrespective of the number of events
  • there must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event
  • the 'premises user' may give 50 TENs in any one year if s/he holds a personal licence, and 5 in any one year if s/he doesn't hold a personal licence.

The applicant must:

  • Be over the age of 18
  • Serve two copies of the application form and fee of £21.00 on West Somerset Council at West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Taunton, Somerset TA4 4QA; and,
  • Serve one copy of the application form on the Chief of Police for the area at the Liquor Licensing Bureau, PO Box 3259, Bristol, BS2 2EJ.

The Notice must contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority;
  • a statement relating to certain matters;
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities;
  • the event period;
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place;
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters.
Regulation Summary

The Licensing Act (Permitted Temporary Activities)(Notices) Regulations 2003

Application Evaluation Process

Your application must be submitted to the Licensing Authority and Police at least 10 working days prior to the date on which the notice commences.  The date of receipt and the date the event commences are not included in the 10 working days.   To apply on-line click the 'apply now' button at the end of this page.

Late Temporary Event Notices:

Late temporary event notices can be given no later than 5 working days (but no earlier than 9 working days) excluding the date the local authority receive the application and the date of the event.

West Somerset Council recommends that TENs are submitted at least one month prior to the event to ensure sufficient time to check the application.

Provided a fully completed application has been submitted and the limits in respect of TENs have not been exceeded, the Licensing Authority will acknowledge your application by returning a receipted copy of your application form to you before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received was not a working day.

The Chief Officer of Police and the Environmental Health Officer may object to your application if they believe that the event would undermine the crime and disorder objective.  Objections must be served on the premises user and the licensing authority within three working days of receipt of the TEN.  The Licensing Authority would then arrange for a hearing.  

The Chief Officer of Police and the Environmental Health Officer may modify the TEN with the consent of the premise user.  In such case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

A Counter Notice may be served by the Licensing Authority if the number of permitted TENs have been exceeded.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes - if no relevant representations are made during a period of 3 days after the notice has been given to the Police.  If relevant representations are received tacit consent does NOT apply and a public hearing must be held to determine the application. 

Failed Application Redress

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision.  Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates Court within 21 days.  An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Licensing Unit for further information.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, contact Citizens Advice.  From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If a Licensing Authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice, the Chief Police Officer can appeal the decision.  Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates Court within 21 days.  An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Events in West Somerset

A template Event Management Plan is available in related documents.
Contact the Environmental Health Team on 01643 703704 for further advice on licensing and health and safety at events held in West Somerset.

You can view the Temporary Event Notices that have been served and granted by the Council on the Public Register page of this website.

More information on TENS can be found on the Department of Culture, Media & Sport website.

If you have any comments, enquiries or feedback about any of our services, please complete the online form.  Your comments will be collated and used to improve the service we provide.