Premises Licence

If you intend to carry out any licensable activities you need to apply for a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Licensable activities are any of the following:

  • Plays
  • Films
  • Indoor Sporting Events
  • Boxing or Wrestling Entertainment
  • Live music
  • Recorded music
  • Performances of dance
  • Late night refreshment
  • Supply of alcohol
  • or anything of a similar description
Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the person who has day to day responsibility for the running of the premises. Any premises where alcohol is supplied under a premises licence must have a DPS. They will be named in the premises licence, a summary of which must be displayed on the premises. A DPS must be a personal licence holder.

The DPS will not necessarily be the premises licence holder, although this may sometimes be the case. They will be the point of contact for the premises at all times for licensing authorities, the Police or Fire Services if problems occur at the premises.

Any application for a premises licence must also include a form of consent given by the individual whom the applicant wishes to have specified in the premises licence as the DPS.

If you are named as a DPS on a premises licence and no longer wish to be, there is a form you can use to notify the council.  Please see the application forms part of this website.  It is important that the premises licence holders know that this is what you are intending to do so they can make other arrangements.  For further information about this, please see the guidance document below.

Operating Schedule

When you are making an application for a premises licence, you need to complete an operating schedule which forms part of the licence.  The main objective of the operating schedule is to prevent premises from breaching the four licensing objectives.  Details that make up an operating schedule include:

  • the licensable activities to be carried out at the premises
  • the times and days (including special holidays such as Christmas, Easter, New Year)
  • in the case of alcohol, whether it is intended for 'on' sales or 'off' sales
  • areas within the premises, where the licensable activities are to be carried out
  • steps which the applicant proposes to take to promote the licensing objectives

For further information on operating schedule, please see the guidance under related documents on this page.


There are a number of exemptions from the requirement to have a Premises Licence. These include:

  • Trains and airplanes on a journey
  • Films in Museums
  • Religious Services and places of worship
  • Garden Fetes
  • Film exhibitions for the purpose of advertising or education
  • Crown premises occupied by armed forces
  • Music incidental to other activities
  • Live TV and radio broadcasts 

As licences do not normally expire you are required by law to notify the Licensing Authority when certain changes or proposed changes take place. This must be done as soon as is reasonably practicable. These may be subject to a fee:

  • If the licence holder changes their name or address
  • If the designated premises supervisor changes their name or address
  • These notifications should be accompanied by the licence or if this is not practicable with a statement of the reasons why it cannot be produced.

If you wish to change any of the details on your licence such as:

  • the way you operate as set out in the operating schedule
  • change the times or regulated activities you provide
  • alter something specified on the plan provided

you must apply for a variation.

Applying for a Premises Licence

When applying for a premises licence applicants will have to submit:

  • plans of the building
  • an operating schedule
  • a fee
  • completed application form along with any supporting documentation

Apply online


Once your application has been accepted by the council, you need to advertise the application.  This needs to be done by advertising in the public notices section of the local newspaper and by displaying a blue notice at the premises.  The purpose for advertising the application is to ensure that people who live within the vicinity of the premises are happy with the application, or, if not, put steps in place to ensure the licensing objectives are not breached. 

Objections / Representations

If objections are made in respect of granting or changing a licence in any way, the Council’s Licensing Committee (made up of Councillors) will have to determine the application. Further information.

For further information regarding premises licences, please see the DCMS guidance under related documents on this page.

A premises application form can also be found under related documents.