Personal Licence

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply or alcohol under the Licensing Act 2003. All alcohol-serving premises with a premises licence need at least one personal licence holder who will be named on the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). Every sale of alcohol under the premises licence must be made or authorised by the Designated Premises Supervisor.

A personal licence holder must:

  • Be aged 18 or over
  • Not have forfeited a personal licence within 5 years prior to making an application
  • Not have been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence
  • Possess an accredited licensing qualification or is a person of a prescribed description.

A person of 'prescribed description' is:-

  • A member of the company of the Masters, Wardens, Freeman and Commonalty of the Vinters in the City of London
  • A person operating under a licence granted by the University of Cambridge
  • A person operating premises under a licence granted by the Board of the Green Cloth.
Accredited Licensing Qualification

Qualifications are accredited by the Secretary of State, details of which can be found under External Links on this page.

Links to the local colleges which run accredited qualifications can be found under External Links on this page.

Criminal Records Check

When applying for a personal licence, we will require a valid Criminal Records Check to be submitted with the application.  This check must be done specifically for this application and must be no older than one month when making the application for a Personal Licence.

Ways to get a criminal records check are:

Personal Licence application forms are available under related documents on this page.  You will also need to download and complete the Disclosure of Convictions form and submit it with your application.

Change of Name and/or Address

The Government has amended the Licensing Act 2003 to abolish the need to renew personal licences.  With effect from 1 April 2015 a personal licence will last indefinitely, unless it is revoked or surrendered before this time.

West Somerset Council does not intend to reissue personal licences to remove the old expiry date.

It is important that if you move house or change your name that you notify the council. It is an offence not to do so.

Even if you move out of the district, you are still licensed by West Somerset Council.

A notification form for change of address/name is available under related documents.

For further information, please see the guidance under related documents on this page.

It should be noted that this authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide in the application form for the prevention and detection of fraud.  It may also share the information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.