Tents and Tourer Licence

Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936 gives the Local Authority the power to control the use of movable dwellings and to licence the use of land as a site for such a dwelling.

A licence is only required if the land is to be used for more than 42 consecutive days or for more than 60 days in any consecutive 12 months.

However, if the land is to be used for more than 28 days in total in any calendar year planning permission will be required.

Once you have made your application the Council must either refuse or grant your licence within 4 weeks.  The Council may attach conditions to the licence to ensure safety and basic level of amenity.

Caravan and camp site licences are usually issued with conditions which relate to:

  • The type of caravan site (residential, static holiday or touring)
  • The number of caravans allowed per hectare (called the permitted density)
  • The spacing between caravans
  • Water supply, drainage, lavatory and washing facilities
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations

If you are considering buying an existing caravan or camping site you must make sure you are satisfied that the site complies with any conditions related to the planning consent for the site.


You do not need a caravan or camp site licence for the following:

  • A caravan kept within the grounds of a house. To be exempt from needing a licence, the caravan cannot be occupied separately to the house
  • A single caravan sited in the same place for not more than two consecutive nights, up to a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
  • Sites for temporary purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
  • A site for tents will be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months

Application Forms

To apply for a moveable dwelling (tents and/or tourers licence) you can download a copy from the related documents section on this page. Alternatively please contact the Environmental Health & Licensing Team.

Please send in your completed application form and any supporting documentation (as requested in the application form) to West Somerset Council, West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Taunton  TA4 4QA