Door Supervisor Licence

If you wish to be a Door Supervisor working at nightclubs and similar premises, you must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).

You need a Door Supervisors Licence if you are responsible for security, protection, screening the suitability of people entering the premises or dealing with conflict in pubs, clubs and other licensed premises open to the public. This applies to those specific times when alcohol is being supplied for consumption on the premises and / or regulated entertainment is taking place.

Unless your employer or company has been given an exemption under Section 4(4) of the Private Security Industry Act 2001, it is a criminal offence to work as a Door Supervisor in England and Wales without an SIA licence.

An exemption is applicable only where the employer or company you work for has been granted Approved Contractor status by the SIA and the other conditions of Section 4(4) have also been met. Every condition must be met for this section to be applied. If you do work without a licence you will be committing a criminal offence, punishable on conviction by a fine of up to £5,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both.

Reporting unlicensed persons

All SIA licensed door supervisors should wear their SIA badge whilst they are working.  If you are concerned that a person at your local nightclub or pub is not licensed, you may report this on the reporting page of the SIA website.

If you think a local door supervisor is still working as such whilst having his SIA licence revoked or suspended, please check the Revoked/Suspended page on the SIA website.

Further information

The Security Industry Authority (SIA) have produced a booklet, Licensing Private Security which contains information about licensing for door supervisors which is available from their website.