Premises Licence - Gambling

A Premises Licence issued under the Gambling Act 2005 is required for any premises where an individual or company proposes to offer premises based gambling.

The licences are issued in respect of specific premises.

Licence include:

  • Casino Premises Licences
  • Bingo Premises Licences
  • Adult Gaming Centre Premises Licences (enabling Category B gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
  • Family Entertainment Centre Premises Licences (enabling Category C gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
  • Betting Premises Licences (enabling the provision of facilities for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary)

An application may only be made by persons (including companies or partnerships):

  • who have the right to occupy the premises; and
  • who have an Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission

Applicants must be over the age of 18.

Except in the case of a track, a Premises Licence may not authorise the use of premises for activities of more than one of the types listed above.   A licence may not be issued in respect of a premises if those premises already have a Premises Licence in effect.

Provisional Statements

Section 204 of the Act provides for a person to make an application for a Provisional Statement in respect of premises that s/he:

  • Expects to be constructed;
  • Expects to be altered, or
  • Expects to acquire a right to occupy.

A person may apply for a Provisional Statement without having an Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission or a right to occupy the premises.

A Provisional Statement provides a level of assurance as to the outcome of a subsequent Premises Licence application.

Advertising Applications

All applications for premises licences, provisional statements or variation of premises licences must be advertised as follows:

  • by giving a Notice of Application on the prescribed form to all the Responsible Authorities within seven days of submitting the application to the licensing authority; and
  • by publishing a notice of the application in a local newspaper within a period of 10 working days starting on the day after the application was made; and
  • by displaying a notice at the premises in a place where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises for a period of not less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day on which the application is submitted.  

In the case where the application is for a provisional statement where the premises have not been constructed or the applicant does not have the right to occupy the premises on the date on which the application is made, the notice must be displayed for a period of not less than 28 consecutive days at a place which is as near as reasonable practicable to the premises or proposed premises and where it can conveniently be read by members of the public.

The period for receipt of representations is 28 days from the date the application is registered by the local authority. 

The licensing authority will not be able to determine an application if the above requirements are not complied with.

APPLICATION FORMS are available under related documents.

NOTICE OF APPLICATION forms (to be served on the Responsible Authorities) are available under related documents.

An ADVERT form is available under related documents.

A list of Responsible Authorities can be found under related documents.

Forms for Vessels are available on request.