Permits and Notifications

Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits

Premises which are wholly or mainly used for making gaming machines available for use (such as small arcades in holiday parks, theme parks and seaside resorts) may hold a Family Entertainment Centre (FEC) Gaming Machine Permit.

FECs can only offer Category D machines under this permit.  This is the lowest category of gaming machines available, and the only type that children and young people are permitted to play. 

Where an operator wishes to provide Category C machines, an Operator Licence from the Gambling Commission is required, together with a Gambling Premises Licence from the Local Authority.  Please see our Premises Licence - Gambling page.

Club Gaming and Club Machine Permits

Members clubs must have at least 25 members and be established or conducted mainly for purposes other than gaming.  They must not be established to make a commercial profit, and should be controlled by its members.  Examples include most sports clubs, working men's clubs, branches of the Royal British Legion and politically affiliated clubs.

Members clubs may apply for a Club Gaming Permit which authorises them to provide up to three gaming machines from categories B4, C or D and equal chance gaming and games of chance as prescribed in regulations.

Alternatively, a members club may apply for a Club Machine Permit, which authorises up to three gaming machines from categories B4, C or D.

Commercial Clubs have the same characteristics as members clubs except they are established to make a profit,  for instance, a snooker club.  Some bridge and whist clubs may operate as commercial clubs if established to make a profit.

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Notifications/Permits

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Notifications and Permits apply to premises with a Licensing Act 2003 on-premises alcohol licence.  The premises must contain a bar at which alcohol is served, and the requirement that alcohol is served only with food must not be included on the licence.

Notification - 2 or Less Machines

The act provides an automatic entitlement to make available two gaming machines of categories C or D for use in appropriate premises licensed under the Licensing Act 2003.

The Premises Licence holder must give notice to the Council of their intention to make up to 2 machines available for use and must pay the prescribed fee.

The Notification is not transferable and where a Premises Licence is transferred, a new notification must be submitted by the new licence holder.

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit - 3 or More Machines

Relevant premises may apply for a permit to provide 3 or more machines.  A Gaming Machine Permit allows any number of category C or D machines to be provided.  Where such a permit is granted, it will effectively replace any automatic entitlement to 2 machines as detailed above.

Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits are transferrable in the event that a Premises Licence is transferred. 

Prize Gaming Permits

Application may only be made by a person who occupies or plans to occupy the relevant premises.  Where the applicant is an individual, s/he must be aged 18 or over. 

Prize gaming is gaming where the organiser puts up prizes in advance, as distinct from gaming where the stakes of the participants make up the winnings.  It is intended to permit low level gaming for small participation fees and modest prizes.  Bingo played at seaside amusement arcades is typical of this type of gaming.

The following premises are authorised by the Act to offer prize gaming (subject to certain conditions) and do not require a separate Prize Gaming Permit:

  • Adult Gaming Centre Premises
  • Family Entertainment Centre Licence Premises
  • Family Entertainment Centre Permit Premises
  • Travelling Fairs
  • Bingo Halls

Temporary Use Notices (TUN)

A Temporary Use Notice (TUN) allows the use of premises for gambling where there is no Premises Licence, but where a gambling operator wants to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.

Premises that might be suitable for a TUN would include hotels, conference centres and sporting venues.

A TUN may only be granted to a person or company that holds a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission. 

The same premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12 month period, but may be the subject of several notices, provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.  If this period is exceeded, the Council will issue a counter notice that has the effect of stopping the TUN coming into force.  Failure to comply with a counter notice is an offence.

Occasional Use Notice

An Occasional Use Notice (OUN) permits licensed betting operators (with the appropriate permission from the Gambling Commission) to use tracks for short periods for conducting betting where the event upon which the betting is to take place is of a temporary, infrequent nature.  For example Point to Point races.

The Notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of the track.  The notice must be served on the local authority and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is located.  The notice must specify the day on which it has effect.  Notices may be given in relation to calendar days, but may not exceed eight days in the calendar year.

There is no fee applicable in respect of OUNs.

Application forms for permits and notifications can be found under related documents on this page.