Food Premises Registration

What is registration?

Registration allows local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all food premises within their area.  Registration is followed up by inspection of the premise, to ensure compliance with food hygiene legislation.  The frequency of inspection will depend on the type of business.  It is a legal requirement for all food businesses to register.

In determining whether or not a particular establishment needs to be registered, consideration should be given to whether the business concerned is a food business.

A food business is defined as ‘any undertaking, whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any of the activities related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food’.

This definition implies a certain continuity of activities and a certain degree of organisation.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.  Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have.  You do not need to register each vehicle separately.  If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises will have to be registered.  However, certain premises are exempt from registration, this would include:

  • Establishments subject to approval under Regulation 853/2004;
  • Establishments which fall outside the scope of 852/2004, namely those undertaking the following activities:
  • Primary production for private domestic use.
  • The domestic preparation, handling or storage of food for private domestic consumption.
  • The direct supply, by the producer, of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer.
  • Collection centres and tanneries which fall within the definition of food business only because they handle raw materials for the production of gelatine.
Eligibility Criteria

No provision within legislation

Application Evaluation Process

No provision within legislation

Regulation Summary

Food Hygiene Regulations 2006 - (EC) 852 / 2004

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes - this means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from West Somerset Council within 28 days of your application.  

How do I register?

If you require a registration form you can download a copy from the related documents section on this page, or complete the online registration form. Alternatively please contact the Environmental Health & Licensing Team.

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested.  Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open.  It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

Once you have registered with the local authority, you only need to notify them of a change of proprietor, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept.  The new proprietor will have to complete a registration form. 

There is no fee to register

Complaints/Enquiries - Applicants

Contact the Food Safety Team - contact details below

Consumer Complaints

Contact the Food Safety Team - contact details below

Public register

The local authority will enter the details on the Public Register.  A register of addresses and the type of business carried on will be open to inspection by the general public.  Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available.

If you require further information, please see Food Safety the section of this website 

Contact Us

Food Safety Team
West Somerset House
Killick Way

Telephone: 01643 703704