Disabled Person Reduction

People with disabilities whose homes have been adapted for their use can get a Disabled Persons’ Band Reduction.

This means we work out how much Council Tax they have to pay as if their property is one band lower than it normally would be. Where someone is already in a band A property, we cannot apply a lower band but we can award a reduction that is the same in cash terms as reductions for homes in bands B to H.

To get a reduction:

  • The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This can be an adult or a child. It does not have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax
  • The person must be substantially or permanently disabled
  • The property must have:
    • A room (not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) and which is mostly used by and is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person; or
    • A second bathroom or kitchen for their specific use; or
    • Extra space inside to allow them to use a wheelchair or rollator indoors

To apply for this reduction, telephone 01643 703704 so we can arrange to visit the property.

We will also need to see a letter from the disabled person’s GP, social worker or physiotherapist, stating how the adaptations or space are essential or of major importance to the disabled person’s wellbeing.

If we award you a band reduction, we will send you a new Council Tax bill.