Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) was introduced by the Government with effect from April 2008.

It will only apply to new claims, and current claims where you either move (including moving room within the same property) or have a break in entitlement. Cases that are exempt from LHA are:

  • Registered social landlord tenancies (housing associations).
  • Protected cases, such as supported housing provided by certain local authorities, social landlords, charities and voluntary organisations.
  • Tenancies which are excluded from current rent restrictions (such as pre-1989 tenancies).
  • Exceptional cases such as caravans, houseboats and hostels.
  • Cases where the Rent Officer judges that a substantial part of the rent is attributable to board and attendance (e.g. hotel accommodation which already exists in the private sector).
  • Crown tenancies.