What does the Council need from the landlord?

  • Accurate information about the tenancy details including the start date, rent charged and any services provided
  • Prompt information about tenants moving out
  • Recognition by the landlord the tenancy agreement is with the tenant. If there are difficulties with payment of rent, the landlord's first point of contact is the tenant
  • Prompt repayment of overpaid Housing Benefit
  • Liaison with the Benefits office before starting any court/eviction proceedings