If you want to trace your family tree the following information will help you, find out more by looking at books on family history research or use either the online guides; National Archives www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory or GENUKI's guide www.genuki.org.uk/gs.
The Somerset Archives and Local Studies Service collects, stores, and makes available historical documents relating to the county. These records include:
- Parish and diocesan records for the Diocese of Bath and Wells – including parish registers, church records and tithe maps
- Non-conformist and Catholic records
- Estate and manorial records
- Somerset County Council, district council and other local government records
- The Somerset Light Infantry regimental archive
- The Avon and Somerset Constabulary archive and other police records
- The census
- Photographs and postcards
- Oral history recordings
- the GRO index of births, marriages and deaths
- books and published works relating to Somerset
- historic newspapers for Somerset
For detailed information about the Heritage Centre and the archives held there, please see the Somerset Heritage Centre website.