The main aim of the Environmental health team is protect and improve the health, safety and environment for residents, workers and visitors to West Somerset.
We do this by:
- Inspecting all food business and investigate complaints about food, food premises and food poisoning. We also sample a range of foods and private water supplies
- We enforce health and safety legislation in the service sector through project based inspections. We also investigate accidents and complaints about health, safety and welfare at work.
- We regulate premises likely to pollute the atmosphere, monitor air quality and investigate complaints about statutory nuisance and pollution
- We have a Pest control service which deals with rats, mice, wasps, fleas and other pests in domestic premises. This services is available at a subsided rate for residents claiming certain benefits
- We enforce standards of accommodation in dwellings in the private rented sector. Everyone has a right to decent housing.
- We provide advice and information on environmental problems such as noise, air pollution and housing disrepair, all of which can affect people's health