The voting process is how the general public elect their political representatives at elections held at regular intervals.
Ways to Vote
There are currently three ways to vote.
- in person at a polling station
- by post
- or by proxy (someone else that you nominate fills in your ballot paper for you).
Unless you specifically apply for a postal or proxy vote, your only option is to vote in person at a polling station. Equally, if you have applied for a postal vote you are unable to vote in person. It is possible to cancel a postal vote application provided it is done a few weeks before the election.
Details and a timetable of deadlines (for postal votes applications etc) are provided on the website before each election.
Who can Vote?
You can only vote if you are:
- a British, Commonwealth or European Union Citizen
- aged 18 or older on election day
- and you are registered - your name appears on the voters list
West Somerset Council
West Somerset House
Helpline 01984 635272