Skip To Content

Welcome to
West Somerset Council

Business Rates Appeals

If you disagree with any decision we have made regarding your Business Rates, you can make an appeal against it. You should continue to pay your original Business Rates bill while your appeal is outstanding. In some circumstances you can also appeal against the rateable value of your premises.

If you want to know more about a decision we make or you think it is wrong you can either:

  • Ask us to explain the decision, or
  • Ask us to look at the decision again to see if we can change it
The regulations which deal with Business Rates provide a formal appeal process in certain circumstances.  You can appeal against:
  • The rateable value of the property; and
  • Completion notices issued by the Council identifying the date when work on a new or converted building could be completed.

If your rates are fully or partly unpaid and you are taken to court, you can also challenge the decision to hold you liable for payment of the rates, the charging period, any decision not to award a reduction and anything else used to calculate the amount due.

For more information on making an appeal contact our local Valuation Office at Quantock House, Paul Street, Taunton TA1 3PB (Telephone 01823 308200).

If you believe the rateable value of your premises is wrong you may submit an appeal in writing or on-line to the Valuation Office.

If you wish to appeal about a completion notice, because you do not think that your property was finished, or could have been finished, by the date the council has given you should contact the Council's Billing and Enforcement Team to discuss a revised completion date. If this cannot be agreed, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal but must do so within four weeks of the notice being sent to you.

The Valuation Office Agency or Valuation Tribunal Service cannot consider appeals to do with discounts, reductions or periods of charge. These are all matters which, in the first instance you should raise with the Council's Billing and Enforcement Team.

If the Council cannot resolve the matter, and you are taken to court about the disputed sum, the Magistrates will consider whether the Council has been reasonable in making the decision they have.

If the Magistrates feel the council have been reasonable they can make a liability order which allows the council to collect the disputed sum. If however they do not feel that your charge is correct they can refuse to make a liability order, in which case the council would be unable to enforce payment from you.

Contact Us   
Revenues and Benefits Service
West Somerset House
Killick Way

Telephone: 01643 703704